Christmas is traditionally a time for family, but not everyone wants to do family things every year, and sometimes it’s nice to make a break with tradition. If you want to spend your time focusing on one special person, there’s nothing quite like a festive getaway.
Pick the perfect destination
The first thing you’ll need to decide is where to go. These are some of the most exciting Christmas destinations.
- Paris. The most romantic city in the world is especially lovely in winter, when snow glitters on rooftops and Christmas lights illuminate the Champs-Elysées. Explore the festive markets or go skating beneath the Eiffel Tower.
- Trømso. What more thrilling place to spend Christmas with your loved one than in the land of the northern lights? At this time of year, the sun barely rises in northern Norway, so you’ll find yourselves in a dreamy twilight world.
- Chicago. From the Winter Wonderland theme park on Navy Pier to the Christkindmarket where you can buy seasonal German foods and crafts, the Windy City is transformed at Christmastime, and its famous streets are alive with brilliant lights.
- Reykjavik. With active volcanoes, glaciers and geysers, Iceland is always an exciting place to spend time, but it’s even more exciting during Christmas, when Santas roam the streets and stunning traditional buffets are served with hot wine.
- Honolulu. If you fancy going somewhere warm for your romantic winter break, Christmas in Hawaii just might surprise you. Say Mele Kalikimaka, enjoy the grand parade of lights and watch Santa row up to the beach in a canoe.
Choose romantic activities
Festive dining with the one you love is always a pleasure, but there’s much more to enjoy at this time of year. If you’re visiting northern climes, why not take a sleigh ride? Further south in Europe, carriage rides through the icy streets are popular with couples. You can also enjoy sightseeing together, explore the local boutiques or enjoy the simple pleasures of a snowball fight.
Look your best
If you’ve chosen a wintery destination, you’ll have to wrap up to stay warm, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be stylish and romantic at the same time. If you have a thick woolen coat and a scarf, you can wear what you like underneath. Why not pick out some new clothes, and even underclothes, that you know your partner will love? You can browse lingerie deals for men online and perhaps pick up a present at the same time. Giving the perfect Christmas gift will make your romantic getaway all the better.
Make it special
The secret to a really special festive break is good planning. Take your time to find accommodation that’s perfect for your needs, and don’t be shy about splashing out a little. Research activities ahead of time and make sure you’re equipped for them, and pack some things secretly if you want to give your partner a surprise. Remember that this is a busy time for restaurants, so if you want to dine out at the best places, you’ll need to book ahead. Good organization will mean you can really relax when you’re at your holiday destination and make the most of your time together.